> orm postcards
Ohio Railway Museum
Postcards - Set 3
Photos taken c.1956-1960 when the museum added two steam locomotives and
the oldest piece of equipment in the collection. Photos by BJ Kern. Alex Campbell Collection.
Railways #3876, a Peter Witt style streetcar. #3876 was built
by the St. Louis Car Co. in 1931. Ohio Public
Service (OPS) #21 is in the background.
locomotive #1 came from the Marble Cliff Quarries Co in Columbus. It was
built by the Vulcan Iron Works in Wilkes Barre, Pa. #1
weight only 20 tons yet it had enough power to pull #578 (below). It
carried one thousand gallons of water and a half ton of coal.
Norfolk and Western Railway (N&W) #578 was the pride of the museum in the
1960's. #578 is an E2a 4-6-2 Pacific type passenger locomotive built in
1910 by the American Locomotive Co. in Richmond, Va. In the 1960's and
70's it was steamed up about five times a year. Throughout the 1950’s,
#578 worked on the N&W’s Norton Branch with sister E2a #553 pulling local
passenger trains. It was retired from active service in 1958 and it was
moved to ORM on Feb. 12, 1959.
its massive tender. When it was built it had a much smaller
tender which, of course, required more frequent coal and water stops.
piece of equipment at the museum was Kansas City Public Service Co. #472.
A four wheel street car built in 1900 by the Brownell Car Co. It
is shown behind the car barn along side OPS interurban #64.
Even in 1958 it was difficult to find a streetcar this old still in
service. The only reason it survived this long is because it had
been converted into a piece of work equipment. The museum
members restored it to its original configuration as a passenger car.