"The former tower was located on the north
side of the mains between the Cleveland Avenue overpass and the N&W
bridge. Later Cleveland Avenue was a very small one-story frame
structure almost directly opposite the older tower. The location was
immediately west of the Cleveland Avenue overpass on the south side of the
mains. Just west of the operators shanty was also a small tool
"There was a frame switch tender's shanty
located about 300 feet east of Cleveland Avenue on the north side of the
"Cleveland Avenue protected a series of four
hand thrown double-slip switches that crossed the mains diagonally from
Yard B on the north side to five tracks on the south side of the mains.
That part of Yard B was called the Freight House Yard. The five tracks on
the other end consisted of one eastward freight tack, two B&O freight
tracks (to their 4th St. yard), and two PRR tracks (to the freight house).
"Position light signals #1361 and 1361F
(westward) were located just east of Cleveland Avenue and #1362 and 1362F
(eastward) were mounted on the west side of the N&W overpass. These
were automatic signals. They were not authority to enter the limits
of Cleveland Avenue. Authority for movement was a proceed signal
from one or more switchtenders. Trains and engines on #1, #2 or #3
needed a signal from the switchtender east of Cleveland Avenue.
Trains and engines on #4 and the tracks south of #4 needed a signal
from the switchtender west of Cleveland Avenue. Trains and engines
making crossover moves needed hand signals from both switchtenders.
"There was no access to Yard A from Cleveland
Avenue. The south track was #4 main. farther east there was a
track to Fort Hayes with access from the St. Clair area (east). The
first access to Yard A was just west of St. Clair Avenue (red onion), not
quite one half mile from Cleveland Avenue. There were three hand
thrown crossovers (from tracks 2 and 4) and a switch tender.
"B&O valuation maps label Cleveland Avenue as
"RA Tower" when it was located on the north side of the mains, and as "RA
Tel. Off." when it was located on the south side. There definitely
was an operator at the location."